We’ve heard time and time again that the best way to protect ourselves from catching the coronavirus is to wash our hands, but all that constant washing and hand sanitizer can wreck havoc on our skin. So, how do you protect your skin while still keeping yourself safe from the virus?
As for what you can do to keep them from cracking, here are some tips:
- Not surprising, the key to protecting them is moisturizing, which you should do right after washing to prevent the dryness from even starting.
- Don’t over-dry your hands after washing – leave them a little damp before moisturizing.
- Use creams instead of lotions – some lotions are water-based and could dry out the skin more.
- When looking for a hand cream, choose one that’s free or irritants like retinol or ones that claim to be “anti-aging.”
- Also if your hands are sensitive choose fragrance-free products; even use Vaseline to keep your hands moist.
- If that’s still not working for you, try putting the cream on overnight, and wear cotton gloves while sleeping. There are also hand masks and at-home paraffin wax treatments to use during the day.
- The main key is to constantly moisturize, so make sure you have cream on you at all times.